First Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Princess, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Princess

Princess New Egg

Oct 25, 2007
    I found chick-chick about 1month ago...we were told she is a hen. I don't know what kind she is, I have a picture but don't know how to post it, sorry. I was wondering if anyone knows how long will it be before she starts laying eggs? I was thinking that she wasn't laying yet because she doesn't have a set home. We have her outside in a run attached to a small dog house during the day, and at night she sleeps in the laundry room inside a large dog carrier. She seems really happy with this set up and is very tame. She's gotten used to a routine and if I don't bring her in by a certain time every night she will let me know very loudly that she wants in. The chicken coop we are making her is almost ready, but I'm pretty sure I'll still be bringing her in at night.(We made a coop exactly like "Monica's Chicken House" seen on this site, we loved it!) Could she not be laying eggs because we move her back in at night? Also, other than her own food, the only scraps she will eat is bread. She begs, and will jump in the air for her bread every night. [​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    A picture would help, but I know that it's usually around 6 or 7 months of age when chickens start laying (sometimes sooner). Mine lay during the morning (sometimes during the afternoon) and I have nesting areas for them to go to. Usuallly the hen/pullet will pick out a favorite area (usually out of sight) to lay eggs. She'd probably pick the small dog house for that purpose, or maybe under a bush if there's one handy.

3. Lipkis

Lipkis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    First, I have to tell you, you are a great personf or taking in a homeless bird! Kudos for you. The rescued animals are always the sweetest thigns aren't they? Well, it takes a couple of months, our girls took a couple of months I think...

They tend to lay eggs durring the day. Oh! It's great that you're making a coop for her that one's cute. I'm sure that soon she'll lay an egg and that you'll be eatting fresh eggs. <3 Perhaps, she might not being laying an egg because she could be a little low on calcium. Give her a little bit of crushed eggshells--beyond the point of them looking like egg shells! And see if she eats them.

About the scraps you can always try some new things. Sometimes, they can be picky eaters. We heard that chickens like all sorts of fruit and stuff but our girls can be picky. You know if you go to PetsMart or some place like that you can find pumpkin seeds, black oil sunflower seeds, and stuff in there. Oh! Try all sorts of vegetables. Little cherry tomatoes, sliced up cucumbers, sliced carrots, oh and fruit! They like the watermelon rine, apples, and even really good unfertilized and untreated grass. Buy meal worms from a petshop she'll love them! Watching chickens eat them is so funny!

But you're great for taking her in. I'm sure she'll repay you with some delicious eggs.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Princess, Welcome to BYC! Most pullets start to lay around 20 weeks old, give or take a little. Good Luck....

bigzio

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Welcome! Do you have a nest box area set up for her?

6. Princess

Princess New Egg

Oct 25, 2007
    Thank you all for the info, and all the kind words! It's great that this forum is here. Especially for newbies like me. [​IMG]
    Lipkis, I'm defenitly going to be trying foods that you suggested for her. We bought three different types of food at the feed store. The clerk said that we could just mix them all together for her. One of the foods is oyster shell. Also some scratch, I believe. So, hopefully she's getting what she needs. Tonight I'll try giving her some fruits and veggies. [​IMG]
    We found out recently that when our neighbors moved they just let their two chickens out and left them. I guess that chick-chick was one them. I never saw the other chicken. I hope someone good found it. I'm so happy to have chick, she's such a joy and so much fun!
    Thank all of you again!!

7. Princess

Princess New Egg

Oct 25, 2007
    chickbea, I have the little dog house set up for her with hay and newspaper...she loves tearing up the newspaper. Her chicken coop(when finished) has a nesting box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by