First chickens ever. Food suggestions please?

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
I really have read the forums but still confused. Getting 4 pullets (not sure of age - mixed breed) from my husband's co-worker in just a couple days. The owner says he feeds his chickens "scratch or corn chops". I done even really know what that is! :rolleyes: Yes, I know nothing. Unlike his set up which is mostly free range, they'll be staying in a coop and run here. So, please tell me what to feed and any supplements I need. Also, are there any medications I should be aware of, like wormers, etc? I'm excited, but getting nervous realizing I know nothing.

Well, you can write off that feeding advice! Yeah, pretty worthless and maybe harmful.

Depending on the age of you pullets, you will be feeding chick feed or all flock feed. These are commercial products formulated to be sure your chicken have all the balanced nutrients they need for health and growth.

Then after they begin to lay, you may choose to switch them to layer feed or keep them on all flock feed.

Corn and scratch is like candy, no real nutritional value although chickens will try to convince you, like toddlers with cookies, that it's a major food group and they must have it all the time or they will die.

ok
Well, you can write off that feeding advice! Yeah, pretty worthless and maybe harmful.

Depending on the age of you pullets, you will be feeding chick feed or all flock feed. These are commercial products formulated to be sure your chicken have all the balanced nutrients they need for health and growth.

Then after they begin to lay, you may choose to switch them to layer feed or keep them on all flock feed.

Corn and scratch is like candy, no real nutritional value although chickens will try to convince you, like toddlers with cookies, that it's a major food group and they must have it all the time or they will die.
LOL well that wasn't his suggestion, just what he says he gives them, but like I said, they free range, so I'm sure they're getting lots of good stuff.

Totally agree with azygous... It'll be easier when you go to a feed store or do an online order as there really are only 2 categories: Feed and Scratch Grains. Feed is #1 food source. Within the feed category, just like with dogs there are different selections based on age - starter/grower; grower; layer; all flock, etc. Then there is Scratch Grains. Scratch grains is likely what he was talking about and that's definitely an afterthought. I've seen posts from people who are new to chickens and wondering why their chickens are completely unhealthy because they chose to feed only scratch grains. So don't do that. When they're old enough you can do Scratch Grains as a treat where you just toss a handful on whatever minimal periodicity you chose. For now, get your age appropriate FEED in whatever consistency you prefer - pellet or crumble. ENJOY. Congrats on the new flock!

Back
Top Bottom