First chickens excitement!

From Kansas! Glad you joined us!
frow.gif
Good luck on keeping a small flock.
wink.png

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Yes, Sourland, our coop will be larger than we need...we've read enough to see the future :) That said, we plan the flock will stay small, but this will give us room to add to the group when the girls grow weary of laying...and still give them a good home in their older years. We eat little meat as it is, and don't have any plans to raise for that purpose--even for culling...we already have lots of pets and know we will grow attached to the girls!

Yes, I did mean Dominiques, Leghorn :)

Thanks for the Guinea suggestion, Diva! We keep hearing and reading this, but have concerns about their flight abilities! Perhaps once we become seasoned with our laying hens, and especially if they don't do enough damage to the tick population, we will feel more prepared to tackle Guineas! I'll have to up my research on them too...

yaaay! happy to be here. thanks again to one and all for your warm welcome

welcome-byc.gif

So you have already figured out chicken math!
lau.gif

We started with 4 and I promised it would not grow large! hahahha It quickly grew to 75 and at one point I had around 100!
big_smile.png

Finally got everything ready and brought our babies home today! They are even sweeter than expected--and such fun :)

We decided to start with five Dominiques.

I was told they are about three weeks old, though they seem a bit smaller to me--what do you experts think?

I'm actually rather pleased by this, as we really have been looking forward to the extra bonding that can be attained so young :)
We couldn't be happier to have them join our little homestead. I've already gained so much knowledge from this forum, thank you all so much!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom