First coop almost complete

clktex

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 2, 2017
So after nearly 3 years of promising I'd get a coop built in our yard my architect neighbor friend finally forced me to start construction (he is building his own so my wife put her foot down that I could not let him finish his without me at least getting mine going). We started back in April and are now nearly complete.

It's a 4x8 covered run with a raised coop that is 3x4.

Hardest work was probably getting the piers in and level. After that we got the frame and subroof up in just one day. View of coop is from south looking north.
Photo Apr 22, 6 26 56 PM.jpg

The next weekend I got the base of the coop in (also put down the floor but didn't take pics).
Photo Apr 28, 1 24 26 PM.jpg

Following week I got the floor of the coop down plus the north wall. Also installed HW cloth below the coop wall.
Photo May 07, 7 21 36 PM.jpg

The next weekend got more HW cloth up and worked on coop walls and nesting box frame, as well as the clean-out door on the east side.
Photo May 14, 5 10 29 PM.jpg

Photo May 14, 5 10 40 PM.jpg

Got the waterer built.
Photo May 17, 8 39 35 AM.jpg

The next weekend saw some progress on the roof and the finishing of the clean-out door.
Photo May 20, 11 23 54 AM.jpg
Photo May 20, 11 24 11 AM.jpg
Photo May 25, 8 51 57 AM.jpg

On Memorial Day weekend I was able to locate scrap metal roof panels from a local company for $40 total (cash, pay the guy in the warehouse).
Photo May 26, 4 09 24 PM.jpg
Photo May 29, 4 06 34 PM.jpg

Roof cap isn't quite perfect but, hey, it's a chicken coop, right?

Couple of nice little details with some help from my architect friend.
Photo May 29, 4 06 45 PM.jpg
Photo May 29, 4 06 54 PM.jpg

Photo May 29, 4 07 15 PM.jpg
Photo May 29, 4 07 19 PM.jpg

Last week was time to predator-proof. Got the HW cloth down around the base. Digging out the heavy clay and mud was, well, not easy.
Photo Jun 03, 5 11 35 PM.jpg

Built the front door and ramp this past weekend.

Photo Jun 10, 5 37 36 PM.jpg

Also laid down some flooring tiles in the coop and finished poop tray.
Photo Jun 10, 5 37 59 PM.jpg
Photo Jun 10, 5 38 07 PM.jpg

Inside view of the nest boxes.
Photo Jun 10, 5 38 11 PM.jpg

So, I'm just about done. I still need to finish the exterior lid to the nest box, complete the linoleum sections, seal and/or paint the wood, sod and finish flagstone landscaping around the coop, level the interior dirt and lay down some gravel/sand, and install the waterer, feeder, and any other accessories.

Photo Jun 10, 5 37 48 PM.jpg

Struggling with the lid issue. There's a 2x4 piece that runs across the top that should accommodate hinges on the coop wall, but I need to get a table saw to do an angle cut for the lid so I can get it flush. Hopefully that is all that will be needed; I really don't want to have to re-do the lid.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this build, and finishing touches?

Last edited:
Nice job!
I would raise the "poop tray" to just below the roosting bar to save that floor room.

So a question. What do you recommend to use to attach watered to coop? I'm thinking of some sort of J hook but can't figure out what will work best. I think I would prefer to have it hang from joists under floor feather than the HW cloth. Similarly was going to hang a feeder. Just an S hook off another hook?

Well the coop's pretty much done! I got the lid installed, finished the linoleum tiles, and laid down a bunch of sod this weekend. As luck would have it, I also tracked down my starter flock from a local breeder who shows chickens. Will post pictures of them later this week (forgot to save the photos). We got a French Black Copper Marans, a Wheate
Photo Jun 17, 1 42 35 PM.jpg
Photo Jun 17, 1 42 35 PM.jpg
Photo Jun 17, 1 43 04 PM.jpg
Photo Jun 17, 1 42 09 PM.jpg
n Marans, and a Black Ameraucana. They seem to be getting along great. The black marans is the smallest and she seems to treat the Ameracauna like mommy (snuggles up under her when roosting, e.g.). No pecking that I can see, and they all pretty much move as a group.

Anyway here are a couple more photos of the exterior.

Sweet little coop/run.

Hate to tell ya but putting those pavers over the HC apron is defeating the purpose of the apron. Critters may try to dig under the edge of pavers and end up under the apron as well. I'd pop em off of there.

S hook on another hook or eye screw should work well for hanging feed and water.

Sweet little coop/run.
Hate to tell ya but putting those pavers over the HC apron is defeating the purpose of the apron. Critters may try to dig under the edge of pavers and end up under the apron as well. I'd pop em off of there.

S hook on another hook or eye screw should work well for hanging feed and water.
Agreed regarding the pavers. Wife wanted them. Gonna see how they hold up. May have to reconfigure at some point.

Last edited:
Oh, Wow, that is a gorgeous coop! I love that you have used solid wood and not particle board for your construction. The tile flooring is super cool. Great detail in the construction, and I like the wood screw/washer combo to securely hold in the mesh. I love everything about this coop. Well done!

Really pretty but that's only 2.4 sq feet per bird, not much space for 5 birds. You may find you want it bigger. Newbie here so just a comment from reading other's posts on space. Hope my coop looks half as good.

Back
Top Bottom