First coop build

The coop is done! Well, "done". The chickens are moved in. We still need to paint and do some trim, but it is fully functional at this point.

Here is a walk around. I apologize for the abrupt ending. Apparently my phone will only video for 10 minutes at a time. And never mind my disheveled appearance...lol. I had been going for about 11 hours at this point. But it is done!

Hey, y'all. We just got into chickens and I am building our first coop using ideas from all over the internet. The basic rundown is it is an 8'x8' structure with a 4'x8' raised coop. The entire run is secured and it gets into the 100's here during the summer quite often (with mild winters), so I have only one solid wall on the coop (the north wall, which is made up of the two doors for clean out). Two sides are wire mesh and the front of the coop is open to the run. There are three nesting boxes and 16' of roost space on two levels, plus the edge of the coop that is open to the run. At this point, it is almost done. I hung one of the two rear doors last night. Hoping to hang the other tonight. At that point, the structure will be secured and I will just have some details to finish up: coop flooring, roost ramps, food and water systems. I am really hoping to have the chickens out there this weekend.

Right now we have 6 young birds, but two of them are either crowing hens or roosters. They've grown up together and are probably 10-12 weeks old at this point, so we will see how it goes. We will get more hens, though. We would like to have 6 layers.
View attachment 1796414 View attachment 1796416 View attachment 1796417 View attachment 1796418 View attachment 1796419 View attachment 1796420 View attachment 1796421 View attachment 1796423 View attachment 1796424
Hey, y'all. We just got into chickens and I am building our first coop using ideas from all over the internet. The basic rundown is it is an 8'x8' structure with a 4'x8' raised coop. The entire run is secured and it gets into the 100's here during the summer quite often (with mild winters), so I have only one solid wall on the coop (the north wall, which is made up of the two doors for clean out). Two sides are wire mesh and the front of the coop is open to the run. There are three nesting boxes and 16' of roost space on two levels, plus the edge of the coop that is open to the run. At this point, it is almost done. I hung one of the two rear doors last night. Hoping to hang the other tonight. At that point, the structure will be secured and I will just have some details to finish up: coop flooring, roost ramps, food and water systems. I am really hoping to have the chickens out there this weekend.

Right now we have 6 young birds, but two of them are either crowing hens or roosters. They've grown up together and are probably 10-12 weeks old at this point, so we will see how it goes. We will get more hens, though. We would like to have 6 layers.
View attachment 1796414 View attachment 1796416 View attachment 1796417 View attachment 1796418 View attachment 1796419 View attachment 1796420 View attachment 1796421 View attachment 1796423 View attachment 1796424
Wow, looks like you are doing a beautiful job! If you do you have 2 roosters, maybe you should just keep it to the four girls. I think it is more the right size for three or four full-grown chickens.

Back
Top Bottom