First coop chicken/owner learning curve?

mmahanna

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013
Hi there! We're 11 week old new chicken owners and recently moved our girls outside to a coop and run that we built. One problem... none of our girls seem inclined to climb up INTO the coop. We are literally having to go out and put them up in the coop at night... physically picking them up and placing them inside! Is this some sort of bizarre chicken learning curve or have we somehow goofed in our build so that they can't figure it out? I've included a picture of our run and coop where you can see the ramp and entryway.

They will figure it out. You are not having to get them out of the coop right. Chickens are just wired sometimes about ramps. I bet you will not have to put them inside mush more than a few nights.

Keep them inside the coop for a week or 2. Keep the door closed, but the windows open to allow air to circulate. Feed them some good crumbles & scratch inside the coop. This will help them learn where home is. Then when it's time to go outside, they'll no where to go when it's time to roots. Hope this helps -DS

Thanks to everyone for the replies! Like calling computer tech support, I went out this evening to put them up and found that they had put themselves to bed for the night! Guess all it took was to ask someone lol!

Back
Top Bottom