First coop feedback

Torch404

Songster
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Northern Cali
I've started making a house and run. nothing huge meant for 4 birds. I'm trying to do it mostly recycled. So far I've paid money for the screws, hinges, and screen. Still under 20$ so far. Found an abandoned dog house across the street. Which will make a nice house if I add a nesting box to the side and some hatches. Everything else was just lying around the yard. Building it is a one man show and I've mostly been winging it with only a tape measure, drill and Jig saw. Actually my lovely assistant and wife did help hold the center of the A frame up for me while I tacked it together.

1-17-09024small.jpg

1-17-09025small.jpg

It's about 96" Long and 55" Wide at four birds it's just under the 10ft recommendation, but they will have more then enough with under the house.

1-17-09060small.jpg

I got the screen for 5$ from the recycling center. Great condition and just enough.

1-17-09065small.jpg

The doors are Yakima Basketcases I had lying in the yard. I still need to figure out how to Lock them but they are very heavy so not much could move them. They hinge at the top which you can see farther down. They both have some 4" by 4" squares in them. I worry this might be big enough for a small bird to squeeze through. About how old would a standard size hen need to be so they could not fit through something that size?

1-17-09111small.jpg

Had some primer lying around the house.

1-17-09112small.jpg

Here is the ex-doghouse soon to be hen house. I've already put it up on stilts.

1-17-09113small.jpg

You can see how the doors work. I'll probably have a notched board standing by to hold them open for me. The hinges are 4 - 1/2" Conduit straps.

1-17-09114small.jpg

I've screened in the end which has prevented me from priming everything but most of the boards are better then none. The other side is an open triangle. Which is where I'm going to attach the hen house. What do you think? Feed back. I'll post more as it goes. Right now I want to get pullets almost ready to lay. A lady on CL is asking 15$ for 3 month old birds. Seems a little steep but she says she has Ameraucana and I want two birds in hopes of colored eggs even if it is an Easter Egger.

Then once I feel comfortable taking care of them I was planning on getting a couple of sex links for good egg production...I like brown eggs. Let me know what you think. I love this place so much info and nice folks!

welcome-byc.gif

Your first coop and run are coming along nicely.

However, I just wanted to let you know that any predator could just rip that screen to shreds. You really need something stronger, such as hardware cloth.

Nice....
thumbsup.gif

Think I'll ask Dh to make me something like this when I get a couple of chicks, but I'll have him but that hardware cloth on it.

I don't see a roost in there for them. Perhaps I'm blind.... but good job.

You'll want a bigger one soon... just so you know

Are you going to use it as a tractor?

What's the difference between hardware cloth and what I have? I thought it was hardware cloth looks galvanized and welded up close.

No roost yet. I just finished the run, the house is next. I need to add a poop door, nesting box and roosts to it. Then I'm going to enclose the bottom of the house with plywood. Making one side a door and I'll keep the food and water down there.

No way this thing could be a tracker without a tractor to pull it, it's heavy:p I do have some chicken wire I was going to attach to the bottom and bury around the perimeter once I get everything put together and in place.

Thanks for the input I'll update as I can...but it just started raining
sad.png
I'm afraid it's suppose to for a week here in Northern Cali. So I don't know how much I can get done.

You really should change the screen to hardware mesh. It's much stronger. I know it costs, but it's better than a dog slashing through it. I like the style. Might I suggest a roost in the run only bc my girls have one and they LOVE roosting in the sun, or when the ground is still frosted over.

Welcome to BYC! Great job! Can you get a closeup of your wire? It's hard to tell what it is.

The wire basket door probably would benefit from a wire covering as well. I wouldn't worry so much about someone getting out as I would worry about something reaching in or getting all the way in!

Your'e doing a great job!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom