First coop- Newbe questions and request for feedback

looks great
thumbsup.gif

Got the ramp built, automatic waterer built, sod planted (the run area had become a mud bowl during coop construction), and the run framed out today. now all I have left is to add chicken wire and the girls can move into their new home!

Ramp

shoots for oyster shell and grit

and here is my waterer. I used a toilet float valve in a bucket just like many on here have but instead of building a bracket, i cut out the bottom of a 2nd bucket, drilled a few holes and mounted the float valve to the bucket bottom just like you would in a tank. then i routed the braided hose up thru another hole, dropped it in my "outside" bucket and put a brick in to keep the bucket bottom from floating. this way, i didn't need a bracket and everything is in the center of the waterer out of thew way.

Run, check. Roosts, Check, Feeder, Check. Im All Done and am very happy! The girls moved in and they are even happier
celebrate.gif
Now im going to have to figure out what to do with m y nights and weekends...

I went through the trouble of making three nesting boxes for my 5 hens, and they only use one. Every day 4 to 5 eggs in the same box. Every once in a blue moon is there an egg in a different box.

I went through the trouble of making three nesting boxes for my 5 hens, and they only use one. Every day 4 to 5 eggs in the same box. Every once in a blue moon is there an egg in a different box.

yea, i had planned to make 3 but once i got to working on the boxes, 3 was going to be on the minimum side size wize so i made 2 larger boxes instead. i hope it works out.

I'm guessing the square framed area in the run is a dust bowl. Hoping that it isn't a horseshoe pit. As for your nights now that the coop and run are finished, beer helps. I sit outside and listen to the Tigers play everynight during the summer. Gives me time to relax, close up the coop, and sometimes play horseshoes. Nice job on the coop, and also the planter. I have been tearing down pallets and that gives me an idea for some of the wood.

I'm guessing the square framed area in the run is a dust bowl. Hoping that it isn't a horseshoe pit. As for your nights now that the coop and run are finished, beer helps. I sit outside and listen to the Tigers play everynight during the summer. Gives me time to relax, close up the coop, and sometimes play horseshoes. Nice job on the coop, and also the planter. I have been tearing down pallets and that gives me an idea for some of the wood.

Yes its a dust bath and not a horseshoe pit
big_smile.png
. Biggest problem is that I went ahead and put it out there while i was still building the run (came up with it on a whim and did it immediately) so our 3 year old started playing in it as his own sandbox while I was working on the run and wants to go back in and keep playing now that the chicks have moved in. So now when people stop by to see our chickens they're going to think we cage our 3 year old...lol

Thanks for the feedback on the coop. i really had fun building it. if only i had the room to build more big structures

Back
Top Bottom