1. welby1205

welby1205 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2015
    Western Michigan
    So far have only spent $100. All wood siding and roof was free. There are no nesting boxes yet, or a chicken door, since we have to build the run. Overall very pleased. There is ventilation on all sides except the garage wall. We also want to put in another window. And I still need a handle for the door and for the window.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Beautiful job.
    Another window is a good idea.
    If you're getting chicks, you won't need the nests till they're about 17 weeks old.
    I guess the ventilation space at the top is covered (or will be) with hardware cloth?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  3. welby1205

Apr 12, 2015
    Western Michigan
    Beautiful job.
    Another window is a good idea.
    If you're getting chicks, you won't need the nests till they're about 17 weeks old.
    I guess the ventilation space at the top is covered (or will be) with hardware cloth?
    [/quote

I have chicks, they are about 5 weeks old. Yes, there is hardware cloth up there, just hard to see.

4. timemine

timemine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    Indianapolis
    It looks like your latch is a self locking gate latch. If it is, be aware you could lock yourself in the coop. I locked myself in my shed this morning and it was awful. Fortunately I had my phone and could call someone to let me out.

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    timemine is sooooooo right.

I actually did that years ago.

If you keep that latch tie a piece of string to the eye of the latch and run it through the hardware cloth at the top and tie it off in the coop.

I did the string thing for a while and it got old and I replace the latch.

6. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

The pictures aren't loading for me.. :/

7. welby1205

Apr 12, 2015
    Western Michigan

Lucky for me the door is snug and I don't need to close it all the way when I'm in it. But I will have a fail safe eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by