First Coop

auburnchickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
California Gold Country
My Coop
My Coop
The coop I'm building is coop #1 in Art of the Chicken Coop. It'll be 4' X 5' and the run will be about 12' X 6'. Got the ground ready today, its a gravel RV parking area, so racoons won't be able to dig under. There is a 4' X 4' covered structure that used to be a playhouse that I'm using as a corner of the run.

Looking good. 4 x 5 works as long as chicken math doesn't attack. Have you decided on what chickens you"ll be getting yet?

We have an ameraucana, a barred rock, a gold sex link, and a Delaware, all a week and a half old. Got in 3 more hours today, finished the side car for the nesting boxes.

I'm not thrilled with the lid, and will likely replace it, but its good and solid after modifying the plans a bit. Next is the dividers for the nests, the doors, and of course the roof.

Also added lumber to support the roof as I'm using siding and not plywood for the walls. M
Now they're like regular exterior walls.

Got three more hours in today, and replaced the lid for the side-car nesting boxes. Used 2 old cabinet doors attached together, and it works well now. Also finished framing the inside of the coop - the plans didn't call for that, but we get snow from time to time, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to add extra support.

Here's how I built the truss for the center of the coop - this was a part of the plans.

All set for the roof, hopefully tomorrow I'll have time. New side-car lid in place.

Three nesting boxes ready to go, photo taken with the lid open.

Woo-hoo! Coop is done! Only a few decisions to make for the inside, roosts, water, & feed.

Fun chicken ladder goes through the kids' old playhouse - wasn't sure how it was going to work, and now
I'm thinking about enclosing it on the outside walls to provide extra shelter.
Here's a view of the cleaning access door on the back side.

Finished the frame for the run.

Above is the gate, and some of the welded wire I'm using since we have raccoons and other predators that would love a chicken dinner.

I'm proud that I used the old playhouse for part of the run, recycling and all that, but it was tricky working the run frame around it. It's also going to provide outdoor (outcoop?) shade and rain cover a bit for the flock of four, as well as good stability for the whole run.

Bird's-eye view from under the old playhouse. Can't wait to finish this weekend and get those chicks, well, pullets I guess now since they're all feathered out and growing larger every day, into their new home.

Finished last weekend! Wire went up pretty easily, and got everything in the coop and run ready for the birds in just a couple hours.

I've used carribbeaners on all 3 exterior latches to help ensure no unwanted guests find their way to the chickens.

Speaking of chickens, here's our Deleware, Snowflake.

The Americauna in the back is named Hearts.

And the other two, Rocky, the Barred Rock in front, and Goldie, a Gold Sex Link behind. So far those 2 are the most friendly. Here's Hearts getting some water on the "porch."

Back
Top Bottom