First Day with flock and they did not roost???

Novice in New York

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
I just received 8 Production Reds that are 3 1/2 months old. They ate and drank well. When it came time to enter the coop, they seemed to stall at the door. They stayed huttled on the floor. My roosts are at 18 inches and 30 inches off the floor. Is this the problem, or are they just not used to the new surroundings?
Thank you.

give them some time - I think they need to get used to the new digs
big_smile.png

Maybe they've been somewhere without roosts before you got them. You could pick them up and put them on the roosts one night so they get the hang on them.

They need some time to get adjusted - it's normal for chickens to not roost for the first few days (sometimes even weeks) in a new coop. They're nervous about their new surroundings and don't recognize it as home quite yet. They'll get the picture soon enough, however. Your chickens are a little young to be roosting every night at this moment, though. Although they will roost instinctively now, they won't learn to "come home to roost" until they're a little bit older and more used to the coop.

I went through this problem when my chicks were moved to their coop - but hang in there and they'll learn soon enough!

Good Luck!

I agree with the other posts. They just need time to adjust. Chickens stress pretty easily. Any changes in their lives can throw them off. Chickens are creatures of habit and like routine. Try giving them some scratch in their coop in the evenings. Be regular. After they have developed their routine then slack off. I did it and now no more evening treats and they put themselves to bed before dark on their roosts every night.

Thank you all for your help. They are getting more comfortable. They are roosting and getting in the coop by night fall without any problem now.

Now I am seeing some assertive behavior from some of them while others are more docile. How will I know if I am having a problem with aggression?
Thank you.

Thank you all for your help. They are getting more comfortable. They are roosting and getting in the coop by night fall without any problem now.

Now I am seeing some assertive behavior from some of them while others are more docile. How will I know if I am having a problem with aggression?
Thank you.

It's probably not aggression, but rather 'pecking order' being established.

I've only been doing this 2 years and from this limited experience - my suggestion is to let them work it out...cause they'll do it anyway. Some of the hens are just more dominant than others. The only time to worry is if one is hurt and they are pecking at a wound or something of this nature. Otherwise they seem to figure it out and manage.

all the best. Sounds like they're figuring out the roost too - that's great. Sometimes it takes a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom