First Dead Chicken

BrianM

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 6, 2009
South Louisiana
Went out to check on my six hens this evening and found my Cuckoo Marans laying in a dust bath hole in the corner of their run dead. She was only about 8 months old and as of yesterday evening seemed completely normal. Been laying a consistent 4-5 eggs a week last egg was day before yesterday. No signs of any kind of injury. Been kinda hot (upper 80s with fairly high humidity) around here but they have shade, food and water. I guess some sort of natural cause.

This is my first time raising chickens and this is my first chicken death. Is there anything special I need to do in the run or coop to 'clean up?' Again she couldn't have been dead all that long. Checked on them this morning.

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to hear about your hen as well as the mystery surrounding her death. I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you about any precautions you should take or anything.

Mystery dead chickens happen. There is no way to know when it will happen. We had a year old Barred Rock over winter, and the first good weather this year she died. We have VERY cold winters, and figured if anyone is weak they will not survive the cold. It is always mysterious.

Remember Chickens are not pets. They are here to give us food and entertainment. Feed them, shelter them, protect them, and give them a good life. They will give you eggs and will eventually become a great meal!

The exact same thing happened with one of my hens a few weeks back.Dead in a dust bath hole with no signs of illness or injury.Guess sometimes things just happen.I don't think any special clean-up is necessary unless there was an illness,I didn't do any sort of disinfecting or clean-up and everyone is fine.Sorry for your loss.
sad.png

Sorry to hear. I also had this happen about 2 weeks ago with a Jersey Giant, 11 months old. Also in the dust bath area. Fine one minute, dead the next. I did clean out and sterilize the coop just in case (and it needed it anyway) but the other chickens look fine so far.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your pet. It's particularly difficult when the cause is a mystery. There's nothing special you need to do except dispose of the remains properly (ie: bury deep enough that predators aren't going to dig up).

Again, my condolences.

Thanks everyone. I am kind of in between on the chicken/pet thing. I don't quite consider mine pets but consider them more than just livestock. Really just wanting to make sure the others stay healthy. Things happen and sometimes that thing is SCDS (sudden chicken death syndrome). I am just glad this wasn't due to a predator or some known illness or disease.

Quote:
This is my exact feeling. Its hard when you cant find a known cause for the death. I have heard that sometimes they have a mild case of cocci as chicks and then the stress of laying is too much for them. Perhaps this could be true of this hen.

Back
Top Bottom