First dog Barnie bit someone!

Many presidents have brought a new puppy along with them to the White House, or gotten a new puppy while in office (The last three have had Barney, Miss Beazley, Buddy, and Millie...and I can't remember Millie's pal's name). On the one hand, it does seem like really bad timing, but on the other, I'm sure that having a huge staff takes the pressure off of things like house-training, socializing, etc.!

Just so I didn't leave the wrong impression, I am not saying the dog is bad or necessarily in the wrong. Certainly there ought to have been someone able to read canine body language and have known better(actually, I typically feel it is us humans who make the error - not the dogs). However, if this incident occured with a dobe or malamute or some other such dog in a regular persons home the dog would probably be taken away, possible lawsuits, loss of home owners insurance, etc. JUST because of the breed. Nothing happens because it is the presidents dog. Nothing happens because it is a scottie. Scotties and terriers have that tenacity and big-dog-in-small-dog-body view of life. They will bite if they want to. Why don't insurance companies include Them on their 'banned breeds list'? It just isn't right. That's all I am saying. The president doesn't get sued and/or loose his dog because of this incident - and the reporter is being Nice about it!!! It would be a different story if it happened to one of us, and it would be even More of an issue if it were even just a snap from breeds facing BSL(breed specific legislation). I don't think that is fair.

See? sorry guys. BSL, dog bite incidents, etc. It just really gets to me.

Sequin, I understand. I thought it was an interesting incident because so many people on the forum have said - if dog bites a human, it's a dangerous dog and should be put down.

I think the handler should not be letting people pet Barnie, esp. if he's just getting old and crotchety. Barnie needs an agent!

Back
Top Bottom