First Ducks

msf

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
Seattle, WA
My Coop
My Coop
I have a broody Ameraucan sitting on 4 duck eggs. I figured the only way to break her 2 month brood was to give her something to mother, and I wanted some ducks any way. So she is sitting in one of the nest boxes in my big chicken house. I'm building a sceond smaller coop and it will be ready when the little quackers hatch. Questions:
1. Should I remove the hen and duclings to the new coop when they hatch?
2. Should I move just the babys to a brooder without the hen?
3. If I leave the hen and babys together in a seperate coop should I heat it or will Mama do the job of keeping them warm?

Thanks for this and asny other info you can provide.

Michael

I have a broody Ameraucan sitting on 4 duck eggs. I figured the only way to break her 2 month brood was to give her something to mother, and I wanted some ducks any way. So she is sitting in one of the nest boxes in my big chicken house. I'm building a sceond smaller coop and it will be ready when the little quackers hatch. Questions:
1. Should I remove the hen and duclings to the new coop when they hatch?
2. Should I move just the babys to a brooder without the hen?
3. If I leave the hen and babys together in a seperate coop should I heat it or will Mama do the job of keeping them warm?

Thanks for this and asny other info you can provide.

Michael
1. I'm assuming you have a drake if you're getting ducklings, so yes, you will need to move them to a different coop to keep the drake from attacking a possibly killing the ducklings.
2. You could move the babies to a brooder without the hen, but as long as the hen is a good mother, she can take care of the babies
3. Mama duck will provide all the heat that her babies need
Have fun watching your ducklings grow!

Back
Top Bottom