First egg - 16 1/2 weeks.

From the North

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 22, 2013
I'm just tickled pink to announce my first-ever chicken egg today!! I wasn't expecting any eggs for another month! How exciting! Should I switch them all (11 hens, about 16 1/2 weeks old) onto layer feed immediately, or should I wait until more of them start laying?

Congratulations!! We should have our first egg in a couple weeks I hope and can't wait. From what I have heard as soon as they start laying you should change them and add Oyster Shell free choice. The long time chicken mom and dads can better answer though :)

Congrats!!!! We are hoping for our first eggs in a couple weeks also. How much other feed do you have left? I have read you can mix the 2 until the starter feed is gone, but also read it is a good idea to switch once the first eggs start and free choice oyster shells.

I have always switched feed at around 12 to 14 weeks of age. This is just before they start laying giving them the extra protein to get their systems going.

I have 12 week old chicks in with five two year old hen and have mixed their feed for a couple of weeks now. I have never had a problem by doing this. It is however up to you. I would use what is left and mix in layer right away.

Well today one of our four Suburban arvada co hens laid an egg and we are stoked! At least iam, my wife used to raise 200 hens and roosters years ago so its not that much of a deal to her although she is still happy.
Only problem- they didn't lay in the coop, so I guess we will lock them down for at least aweek. They also try to roost in the boxes so now I go and put them on the poles by hand and I have blocked the boxes.Am I doing the right things?

Back
Top Bottom