First egg! And a question...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NCChickMagnet, Aug 3, 2010.

1. NCChickMagnet

NCChickMagnet New Egg

Mar 9, 2010
    Stokes County, NC
    Found our first egg out of our 3 GLW hens. They're about 22 weeks old. We just switched them to Layena from the Medicated Start and Grow on Friday, just 4 days ago. Set up a light timer, as the coop was very dark and felt like they weren't getting enough light to begin laying eggs.

So, how long should we wait before actually eating the eggs, since they were just switched to the layer ration? Is 4 days enough, or should we wait longer?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I'm sorry that I don't know the answer to your question. But in the future, you should take the chicks off medicated starter at 8 weeks (we'll assume there will be future chicks b/c, well...that's the way chicken math works!).

Congratulations on your firs egg!!

3. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    Congrats! I was late taking my girls off of medicated feed. I personally would be fine eating that egg. In general, medicated feed does not have anything dangerous to humans and the amounts are very low. Plus four days is a good buffer. Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by