First egg...and boy was I surprised!

UPDATE: We now have 2 chickens laying.

We finished the nest boxes and hung them up last night. Went out today to find one of the girls nestled inside....an hour later, went out and found an egg. On the other hand, we also found an egg outside in the run....will have to do some training with that chicken.
smile.png

According to Gail Damerow, early laying may be because the chicks received too much protein for too long a period. Chick Starter feed has about a 21% protein component, while the Grow feed is generally about 17%. Gail writes in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens that if a pullet begins laying early, due to the excess protein, then it may cause problems with prolapse. If the hen is immature inside, then she may have problems producing eggs.

My little pullets are almost 7 weeks old; I'm mixing the Grow feed & Chick Starter feed now, and plan on using the lower protein solely in the next couple weeks.

Carla

They have been on grower feed for a long time.....only had them on chick starter for about the first month or so. Only 2 of 23 are laying.

Not sure....but I figured they all matured at their own pace....and these two are just early bloomers.

Either way.... I'm lovin' it!

Back
Top Bottom