1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first egg Count Down

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cybercat, Sep 22, 2009.

1. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Well, as of this wedesnday my chickens will be 19 weeks. We will be buying a couple of cat litter boxes for nest boxes since my hens are so big. Many now have the red face but there are still many that do not. I have at this time 22 pullets and one roo who has a bum leg. I have heard egg song once but they free range and house is closed up due to rain this past week.

I am can not wait to see my first egg. So how many others here are doing last ouple of weeks or days count down. Sound off and lets wish for everyone.

2. backpack09

backpack09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Whitman, MA
    Good luck.. My mixed breeds are all 22 weeks and red faced, squat when you pet em, and still no eggs.

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

4. cybercat

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Well I was lucky in finding a 20% egg ration feed. So I am hoping that helps some with timing. i looked long and hard to find this feed too only to find out the place I was getting it from had it. Umm was not listed on their web site. Pays to ask in person sometimes than just checking on the net. Then again if one remembers to ask or has the time to do it.

5. backpack09

backpack09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Whitman, MA
    Welp after threatening the ladies with the stew pot on tuesday the first egg arrived yesterday.

6. cybercat

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Congrats. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was lucky today to hear my lone roo trying to crow. Love this breed crows are not bad and only in the morning. My other roo was just like that too but hawk got him.

I am wainting not to hear egg song more often. Yesterday was petting the ladies and one reall did the squat for me. No others have yet. Waiting is so hard.

7. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I was going to join this group earlier today. I am going to post anyway. Penny is the only pullet of my original six. She is just now seventeen - weeks- old. I didn't expect an egg until the end of this month or next, but was HOPING for one next weekend. Imagine my surprise to find an itty bitty egg in the nest box tonight! Not even sure why I looked, but there it was!! Woo hoo!
    Keep your fingers crossed everyone. It will happen when you least expect it!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by