First Egg First Hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yoko, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    Ok so in another forum i posted about my buff orp having a cut on her neck from a rooster.
    Its just minor and she seems to be doing ok with it~

But today, she wouldnt be quiet in her cage, so i thought id let her out to roam my room for a minute,when i found her first egg!

I must say, I am proud [​IMG]

Shes not sitting on it at the moment,but shes been standing over it

I wanted to know what you guys think of me trying to hatch it?
    Or if she still hasnt been laying long enough to do so?
    I wanted to know because just the other day,we got rid of our rooster, and this i would guess would be one of our only chances at fertile eggs?

These are my first time chickens that i got offa MPC, so i honestly dont know how much about hatching.. lol (ill look at the links at the top of the forum)
    But I still wanna know your guys opinion and advice on how I actually do it, because I guess my dad wants her to hatch it...because he apparently doesnt believe we can eat it...? :hmm
    And itd be nice to have more chickens after so many losses (started at 9 chickens and now im down to 4)
    So yeahh, Ill stop blabbing and whatnot lol~

~Yoko

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Firstly, you can have dad read this if you want to so maybe he'll believe it, but YOU CAN EAT FERTILIZED EGGS, PEOPLE DO IT ALL THE TIME, YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FERTILIZED AND NON-FERTILIZED EGG. Ok, all caps was for dad.

Anyway, if you want her to hatch it, she most likely won't. If she just laid her first egg, she isn't going to go broody over it. You would have to have an incubator to do it yourself. I also would not hatch a single egg in an incubator, because when the chick hatches (IF the chick hatches) it would be VERY lonely. Also, I have read on here that you shouldn't hatch a pullets first eggs...I believe it has something to do with the quality / viability of the chicks.

Good luck! Oh, and if dad doesn't want to eat fertilized eggs, I would seperate the girls from the rooster, or you're going to be wasting ALOT of eggs!!

3. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    Thanks for the caps! [​IMG]
    We did get rid of our rooster though, and i think ill just eat it..i havent had breakfast yet anyways [​IMG]
    Plus I dont want anything wrong with the little chickies~<3

Thank Yew
    ~Yoko

Quote:

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:
    Oh good, lots of future breakfasts for you then!! [​IMG] Enjoy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by