First egg for this new chicken mommy!!

mamabear6810

Songster
May 23, 2021
Today while we were out working on the run extension, I heard my girl Luna in the coop and she sounded like a woman in labor! Ran to the window to see her eyeballing the nesting boxes! Got so excited and kept working, and giggling because after seeing her vent and buttocks area throbbing, I just knew it had to be time! A while passes and I hear her singing and she is on the floor of the coop....I go running like a kiddy into a candy shop and... nothing!!! I look at her and say whats going on baby girl!? I notice she is still throbbing so I place her back into the nesting box she was in, give some encouraging words and exit the coop. No noise happens again and 10 minutes later she walks out of the coop!! Scared for disappointment but excited to find my first egg ever, I slowly RUN TO THE COOP! There in the perfect center of the nesting box is the cutest little egg I ever have seen!!!! Luna is one of our first 8 chickens, a white leghorn and 17weeks today(my best guessing). I was SO happy!!!!!! We all were!!! After 17 weeks of feeding, cleaning poop, building runs and coops and adding to the flock, we finally got to see the (tiny) fruit of our labor!!!!
Luna got hurt the other day when she flew in with our rabbit(who is now rehomed). I think he mounted her and she tried to escape through the fencing and hurt her head and comb. We got that healing up but I was afraid it would mess with her. Thankfully not and I am so excited she was our first lady to lay as she has become my girl since the whole squatting thing started. She follows me everywhere!
Anyways, I was so excited to share!!!! Here are some pictures. None with her and the egg because she ran away, but I do have a few of her, 1 while she was in laying, 1 checking out our new nesting coop and one with my 6yr old holding her while she slept! This girl is seriously a chicken whisperer!!! Not a chicken that wont pass out in her hands almost immediately!
She is the entire reason we have chickens actually, because she wanted some baby 🐤
20210715_103629.jpg
20210715_103608.jpg
20210715_103649.jpg
20210715_103748.jpg
20210715_103802.jpg
20210715_103812.jpg
20210715_195452.jpg
20210715_190515.jpg
20210715_195356.jpg
20210715_104102.jpg

Last edited:
Great story and photos, it's always exciting to get the first egg.
Sorry for the terrible spelling! It is fixed now 🤦‍♀️ I had a tired 2yr old kicking my arms while trying to type and I forgot to go back and proofread.
We are SO excited and knowing it is just the start! We have 7 others the same age and I can tell some are getting close! We have 2 more squatters now so fingers crossed!

I remember my first egg. It was Christmas eve so that was a nice present!
Awwwww, that is so perfect! I was just so excited i was out there to hear it and experience it with her from a distance. We had so many questions about where when how, signs of it....it was a great experience thimg to be around and to kinda of help her and support her. To think she is a layer now is so strange!!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom