1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First egg! I WATCHED it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vermontgal, Jan 5, 2009.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Finally, my first egg! [​IMG]

This morning, I noticed that someone had been in the nest box this morning. I spent some more time in the coop, and noticed something was up. So, I decided to stay and see would happen. I got to watch my 27-week Barred Rock pullet, Liz, lay her first egg (my first egg, too). It took her about an hour from the time she was seriously interested in being in the nest box, until the egg came out and things settled down in the coop.

Brown with white speckles, medium-sized egg, 1.9 oz, 2 5/16" long. January 5, 2009, 1:09 pm

The other gals were pretty interested in what was going on (never having seen or done this before), but they stayed out of the way. My EE also started squatting today. She and my RIR are 28 weeks old now. Liz and Sam, my 2 BR, are both 27 weeks.

Here's an 8 minute movie of the first egg, including the laying moment. [​IMG]

Thanks to all of you, I knew what was happening! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    thats wonderful. i watched mine today too!!!

3. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Congrats!!!

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    What a sweet video and you talk with her just as sweet as any mommy would ! [​IMG]

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    What is that you use for nest bedding ?

6. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    How great that you got to see her first egg, and FILM it. That was interesting and fun to watch. The other girls were so funny. [​IMG]

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Waaaaay back in 1990 or so, I saw the first egg from my first hens, two Leghorns, arrive! I didn't want to disturb her, so I sat in a lawn chair across the yard and watched thru binoculars! Neighbors thought I was just as weird as they had suspected. Especially when I made Christmas ornaments out of them.

Congratulations on a wonderful event! [​IMG]

9. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    Grats !! [​IMG]

10. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

That's cool What was I thinking and Ranchhand that you got to see your first eggs, too. It seems like most people just find them "in the morning."

I got to show my dad while the egg was still quite warm, and also showed my next door neighbors. My next door neighbors are very chicken-friendly -- which is good, because their back yard is basically the same as my backyard. I will be gifting some eggs very soon.

Liz has always been the friendliest chicken, and not at all camera shy. She comes over to me when the other ones skitter away - so I thought she would be OK with my being there for her egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by