First Egg is Gray???

TerryBowleg

Chirping
Feb 23, 2023
I have a young flock that are supposed to be all brown egg layers. Barred rocks, australorps, Buff Orpington, amberlinks…I got my first egg from this group this morning and it’s gray. Here’s pictures of it compared to an egg from my older RIR. It might look blue in the pics but more gray in person. Is it just a glitch with it being the first egg?

Attachments

• D3200534-175C-4A26-B01E-A0C86B652A21.jpeg
    D3200534-175C-4A26-B01E-A0C86B652A21.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 61A1BA1F-CC72-4ABB-9846-BBE9FBB20987.jpeg
    61A1BA1F-CC72-4ABB-9846-BBE9FBB20987.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 33
Break that gray egg open, immediately peel the inner membranes off to get a good look at the shell color. I'm guessing it is blue inside and you've got a blue egger in your flock.
Where did you get your chicks?

!@a.PNG

I love my gray eggs, they always go in the center of my pictures.
I Have a blue copper maran (the brown egg above,) one of her first eggs was purple. But it was the only one.
$cz.PNG

Break that gray egg open, immediately peel the inner membranes off to get a good look at the shell color. I'm guessing it is blue inside and you've got a blue egger in your flock.
Where did you get your chicks?
Rural King which comes from Hoover Hatchery

I have a young flock that are supposed to be all brown egg layers. Barred rocks, australorps, Buff Orpington, amberlinks…I got my first egg from this group this morning and it’s gray. Here’s pictures of it compared to an egg from my older RIR. It might look blue in the pics but more gray in person. Is it just a glitch with it being the first egg?
Most likely mistaken identity.. I agree that's a blue egg... grey is what blue looks like mixed with brown.. and what many folks get when aiming for olive eggers.. so I'm thinking you might have gotten an EE in the group.. which may still have white inner shells. Following chart is not exact but gives the general idea.

1688224415092.png

https://104homestead.com/creating-egg-colors/

Congrats on your first (new layer) egg! :wee

Most likely mistaken identity.. I agree that's a blue egg... grey is what blue looks like mixed with brown.. and what many folks get when aiming for olive eggers.. so I'm thinking you might have gotten an EE in the group.. which may still have white inner shells. Following chart is not exact but gives the general idea.

View attachment 3562148
https://104homestead.com/creating-egg-colors/

Congrats on your first (new layer) egg! :wee
Thanks! Maybe one of the amberlinks have a mistaken identity? The other heritage breed birds I have look exactly like they should

We have two barred rocks. One started laying and all her eggs are brown. But today the other one laid her first egg and it is gray also. I know she laid it because she was in the nesting box this afternoon when the other three were way up by the house. I watched her come out of the coop and went to check the nest… a very warm little gray egg was there.
2535783D-DC2D-49A2-8DD9-CEACB2827D87.jpeg

We have two barred rocks. One started laying and all her eggs are brown. But today the other one laid her first egg and it is gray also. I know she laid it because she was in the nesting box this afternoon when the other three were way up by the house. I watched her come out of the coop and went to check the nest… a very warm little gray egg was there. View attachment 3620975
It’s going to be an olive egg. My “barred rocks” ended up being olive eggers

Back
Top Bottom