First Egg ! :) Not sure if we can eat it. :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pathwandering, Aug 30, 2014.

1. pathwandering

pathwandering Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    I was super excited to find our first egg - probably from the chocolate orpington that went into a submissive squat last weekend. BUT I also found a dead mouse that the chickens could possibly have picked at. My sister said that she drowned one several days ago, and I went to find it but couldn't (until today). I do keep mouse poison under the skirt of my home. (Bad I know, but if I don't the mice eat the inside of my home.)
    So I'm a little worried that this mouse might possibly have had poison in its system and if the chickens pecked at its carcass they could also have it in their system. I haven't seen them actually pecking at it, but they have been out and about when I've not been home. I didn't check the egg box yesterday so it could have been in there for a couple days.

My toddler is super excited to eat the first little egg...but I don't know if I should give it to her.
    What do you all think?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think the egg is probably fine to eat. There would have to be a lot of poison in the egg to affect a human. Before the poison got into the egg, it would have to pass through the bird's body. And if a large amount of poison entered the chicken (a smaller animal), the chicken would die or get very sick--which you would notice. So if none of your chickens are dying, I think it is safe to assume that they didn't eat enough poison (if any) to cause a problem.

Still, it is your choice. If you don't feel right eating an egg that possibly contains mouse poison, that is perfectly understandable.

Congratulations on your first egg!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  3. pathwandering

pathwandering Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Thanks! I wonder if chickens will actually eat a few day old carcass anyway or if they will only eat fresh kill? This is making me think about adopting a barn cat but would I have to worry about the cat eating the chickens?

4. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    Maybe the chickens killed the mouse? My flock is death on rodents. They don't eat them or anything but if they spot one it's life is over pretty quick. Just a thought.

Congrats on the first egg. I'm jealous of your Chocolate Orpington. I only have buffs but I'd love to have some other colors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by