First egg of the season - keeper? Or not?

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
I remember reading somewhere that the first egg or two laid for the season will usually be infertile.
My peahen, Anastasia, has laid her first two eggs of the season. I plan to try my hand at candling them tomorrow night...but
wondered if anyone at BYC knows whether it is usual for the first couple of eggs to be infertile...anyone?

I haven't heard of this, but did she lay them in a nest area or out in the open?
My Peahen's first egg was laid out in the open, and then the rest have been in a nest area.
I thought maybe it took her by surprise. :lau

I haven't heard of this, but did she lay them in a nest area or out in the open?
My Peahen's first egg was laid out in the open, and then the rest have been in a nest area.
I thought maybe it took her by surprise. :lau

She laid them both in the corner inside the peafowl house where they all roost at
night...and I am glad of that since they are locked up tight and secure every night. She
had made a depression in that corner days before so I was anticipating she might use it for
her nest.

In the book Hatching and Brooding Your Own Chicks states that the first egg of every clutch is normally infertile because it was held in the hen for too long before being laid. I can not either confirm or deny this but it does make sense why hens typically lay a few eggs scattered about before they make an actual nest.

Yes, that is what I had heard. Makes sense to me! Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom