First egg or getting sick?

Commencement of laying will cause all sorts of havoc in the flock, they are surging with hormones, not sure what's coming out of their butts, so are all a bit unstable.

The pecking order is fluid, ever changing...even established flocks seem to like a pecking party at roost time.

Give them a month or so, be patient and try not to read emotions into every little thing, and they will all probably calm down considerably.
lau.gif
Not sure what's coming out of their butts!!!
gig.gif

Commencement of laying will cause all sorts of havoc in the flock, they are surging with hormones, not sure what's coming out of their butts, so are all a bit unstable.

The pecking order is fluid, ever changing...even established flocks seem to like a pecking party at roost time.

Give them a month or so, be patient and try not to read emotions into every little thing, and they will all probably calm down considerably.

Omg, I am dying over the butt comment, hilarious!

It does sound like she's getting ready to lay. All my birds had a total personality shift right before they started. My leghorns stopped being so spastic and let us start holding them. My little dominique I know is going to lay soon. She always ran from us and stayed close to her orpington/faverolle protector. Now she free ranges on her own and doesn't take any crap from the leghorns.

This afternoon I noticed something very different in Cluckey. I had the three girls stay in the run with coop access until 2:00 pm. After running out of the door like a heard of bulls she started acting strange. She displayed all the behaviors I've read about but never laid an egg. Then she discharged what appears to be egg whites. I have no idea if this is a sign something is really wrong with her. If it is something should I quarantine her from the other two girls?

This afternoon I noticed something very different in Cluckey. I had the three girls stay in the run with coop access until 2:00 pm. After running out of the door like a heard of bulls she started acting strange. She displayed all the behaviors I've read about but never laid an egg. Then she discharged what appears to be egg whites. I have no idea if this is a sign something is really wrong with her. If it is something should I quarantine her from the other two girls?

To me it looks like it could be one of two things. The first is water poop thanks to her increased water intake. The second is roundworm. I can't tell from the pic, but did you see any worms in her droppings?

No I have not seen any worms at all. I wormed the girls a few weeks ago before they would start laying. I've noticed watery before but nothing that looked like I cracked an egg with no yolk. All the other girls look normal. After this one it was normal again and she stopped acting like she was going to lay.

Could have been part of a softshell, all you can really do is wait, watch and hope......they can act really weird for a half a day passing a softshell.
I went thru that a couple weeks ago, bird was isolating, inactive, just standing...found a partial softshell there later and she was acting normal again and has laid normal since.

Well she still has not laid. She is still eating and drinking fine. She is still active but once a day goes and hides like she is laying an egg. She has even done a little egg song afterward but never an egg. If something is wrong with her at least she will live out a good life. Even if I never get an egg from her, she will not go into a pot. My meat birds yes. .. the girls I've loved on from day one not a chance.

Three weeks of worry has finally resulted in an egg! She was acting beyond crazy today while I cleaned the coop. Then the smallest little white egg came out about 2 hours later.

Back
Top Bottom