First egg? or should I worry?

annaraven

Born this way
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SillyCon Valley
So, I went in today to check for eggs. Buffy the EggLayer has taken a break the past two days, after 5 days in a row of perfect gorgeous light brown, hard-shell eggs. Willow (Welsummer) is getting close - red comb, just started squatting a little bit... but she's got a white ear so I expect white eggs from her (right?)

So I go in and find this "egg" in their nesting box - it's not a nice shell like Buffy; more like a leathery pouch, containing (I think) a yolk and whites. I'm not sure - is this a bad egg from Buffy or a first egg from Willow? I put out more oyster shells thinking whichever bird needs more calcium! It's weird though - I'm just not sure what to think.

Here's an image:
IMAG0460.jpg

The egg on the right is one of Buffy's normal lays.
The one on the left is the weird, leathery skin, no-shell egg.

So what do you think? Is this a likely first egg from Willow?

EDIT:
What I'm a little worried about is that this is the 3rd day with no egg from Buffy (for the first time since she started laying). Then I get this weird rubber egg too. So, *either* Buffy is laying rubber eggs and I'm wondering if there's a problem with her, OR Willow is laying rubber eggs which is normal for a new layer, but then that means Buffy isn't laying for 3 days in a row.

So, I'm just worried actually about Buffy, not about the rubber egg so much. Are other layers slowing down due to shorter days (even if the weather is still nice here in Sillycon valley)?

My options are:
1. Willow just laid her first egg and
a) Buffy is slowing down on laying due to shorter weather or
b) Buffy is sick or blocked and not able to lay
or
2. Buffy had a glitch and laid a rubber egg

Buffy looks healthy - but she went on the nesting box both yesterday and today without producing an egg afterwards. So, could she be blocked up? How do I know?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom