First egg picture! and a question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DanaeW, Aug 20, 2013.

1. DanaeW

DanaeW New Egg

Apr 22, 2013
    this was the first egg I found it was not even close to the hen house or nesting boxes or anything lol but it was brittle and as you can see, very yellowish just like a yolk. It broke when we VERY gently tried to pick it up! :(
    [​IMG]
    and then I opened the hen house and found this one in one of the nesting boxes. pretty much a perfect egg! Proud chicken momma moment! :p
    [​IMG]

they laid these yesterday in the late morning and haven't laid since then. Is this normal?

2. Very normal for pullets that are just getting going. Once in a while an older hen will give you one of those also.

Wish ya the best.

3. DanaeW

DanaeW New Egg

Apr 22, 2013
    They still haven't laid another egg...

4. Patience. Patience. Patience. They will. Chickens on good nutrition will come through for ya.

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Perfectly normal. For the first month or so of laying it is going to be a little odd and irregular. You might see more shell-less eggs or some odd shaped eggs and you may get eggs on an odd schedule. It takes time for her body to work everything out.

6. cverba

cverba Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    Happened to one of my girls too. Soft squishy egg and then a few small eggs.

Hooray for your eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by