First egg questions *Pics*

DoubleH

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
My 1 year old White turkey laid her first egg yesterday. She wasnt sitting on it and it wasnt in a nest. But we are very excited.
celebrate.gif
She is living with a BBB. Does anyone know if they could be fertile? I heard BBB dont breed well due to there size. Although mine boy pretty small. And how often could she lay?
50407_turkeyegg-3-11-10.jpg

50407_closeup-turkeyegg-3-11-10.jpg

Quote:
Thank you. No I have never seen them mate or even stand next to each other unless they are eating. Can NOT break the egg Dh would never forgive me. Maybe we will check the next one. I've been out several times today and no new egg but i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

You can make a candler to check for the spot although you do need a bit of extra bright light to see through the shell since they are thicker then a chickens egg. At first she will lay a bit irregularly the settle down to about one egg ever other day. Laying the first few eggs in the open is not that abnormal in a small flock.

Because of the size of a BBB breast it hard for them to get into the correct position so when they drop sperm it usually misses the mark.

Yesterday she laid egg #2 but it was as small as my chicken eggs. Think we will try to incubate some. Thank you all so much for your replys.

Back
Top Bottom