First egg(s) but not where expected

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by anthonyjames, Oct 26, 2009.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    So I opened up the coop to do some cleaning and there was an egg right in the middle of the floor. Thought great. Got our first egg. But then I was talking to my neighbor and she told me I have 1/2 dzn in one of their window wells. And sure enough 5 browns and 1 small cream colored egg.

So I put golf balls in all of the nest boxes in hopes to get them going in the boxes. While I did this I could tell that one of my star reds was pacing the run like crazy to get out. So I brought her out and she instantly ran to the window well. I grabbed her brought her back to the coop and left her in there alone for a couple of hours. No egg. So I let her back to the run and again pacing like mad and a caged animal to get out. I am leaving them all in the run now and not letting them range at all. Will this help to get her to lay in the boxes?

2. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Yes I think if you confine them untill they get in the habit of laying in the nest boxes then when you let them out hopefully they will go back to the coop and lay there. Good luck [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    everyday while I am feeding my hen lays an egg in my feed barrel(if i leave it open) if its shut she lays right behind my feed barrel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by