First egg - soft and transparent

beachnutx6

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
I'm brand new at this - I have 8 hens (4 breeds) that are almost 24 weeks old. One is laying everyday, beautiful little eggs with very hard shells. I have 3 other hens that seem ready to go also. This morning I found on the poop board under their roost, a soft "egg" that was filled with all yolk, the "shell" almost transparent - the whole thing was "jelly like." Looked like she layed it too early, especially since it came at night. Should I worry, or is this just a hen getting ready to start laying?
Thank you for any feedback!

They have layer feed but I have not put out oyster shell yet since I just had one laying and I was told to wait.

That's what happened to mine after a few days. You should buy some oyster shells to mix in with their feed. It will cause their eggshells to harden.

Don't add oyster shells to feed, just put it in a separate container and they will use it as needed.
You can mix rinsed, dried crushed chicken egg shells in with the oyster shell too.

The softshell eggs are not unusual for new layers, it can take up to a month or so for them to get it all in the groove and lay more normal eggs where you want them to regularly.

Don't add oyster shells to feed, just put it in a separate container and they will use it as needed.
You can mix rinsed, dried crushed chicken egg shells in with the oyster shell too.

The softshell eggs are not unusual for new layers, it can take up to a month or so for them to get it all in the groove and lay more normal eggs where you want them to regularly.

When I put the oyster shells in a separate container, they knock over the container and all of it spills on the ground. They never eat it off the ground.

I'm brand new at this - I have 8 hens (4 breeds) that are almost 24 weeks old. One is laying everyday, beautiful little eggs with very hard shells. I have 3 other hens that seem ready to go also. This morning I found on the poop board under their roost, a soft "egg" that was filled with all yolk, the "shell" almost transparent - the whole thing was "jelly like." Looked like she layed it too early, especially since it came at night. Should I worry, or is this just a hen getting ready to start laying?
Thank you for any feedback!

totally normal.... the layer feed has calcium in it. BTW. A small container like Art suggested is about all you need. They will hunt and peck out of it out of curiosity... But a small container of it will last a long time.

If you get a chance take a look at some of the diagrams available on chicken reproductive systems while poking around her on BYC. Its a very interesting process from the moment the egg is started till its ready to be layed. Young birds or even ones coming off molt will often have eggs that miss a step in the egg production cycle... First eggs sometimes times are soft.... Or have no Yolks.... the no yolkers are offten called Wind eggs, Fart eggs, or even Rooster eggs....
lau.gif

deb

Back
Top Bottom