First egg today - Now a question!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jbatchelder, Oct 7, 2008.

1. jbatchelder

jbatchelder New Egg

Jun 12, 2008
    Yay, had an egg waiting for me this morning!! Now seeing as I am a newbie here.... Do we put the eggs in the fridge or leave them at room temp? And if so on the room temp do we have a certain "time frame" to eat them? Should we wait to eat them until they get bigger and more frequent, or are the eggs good to eat now? Sorry for the cooky ?'s, I'm new to the whole thing... Thanks

2. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I just got my first egg 3 days ago and I was wondering the same thing.. I was so nervous, I didnt want to crack it open. I didnt wash it and I put it in the fridge. LOL I would like to know this too..

I guess we learn as we get to new levels.. I feel confident raising baby chicks but not sure what to do with eggs LOL

and WELCOME.. you have come this far!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    leave them on the counter till they reach room temp. THEN put in fridge. otherwise, the eggs will 'sweat' and get all wet, causing GROSS bacteria growth. (ack)[​IMG]

they will be fresh on counter for 6 days, or in fridge 6 weeks.

blessings for tons of yummy eggs!

4. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Do you wash them? Or rinse them off?

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I used to wash my eggs with soap and water, but now I dont.

An egg ages more in 1 day on the counter than it does in 1 week in the fridge.

Im getting 12 eggs a day. [​IMG] So now I have to find more people to buy eggs.

6. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    Don't wash them when you put them in the frig. If you want to wash them, wait until you use them. they will last much longer this way, when you don't wash off the bloom.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg. I just stick my eggs in the frig. If there is anything on them I use some 220 grit sandpaper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by