First egg today! Time for layer pellets?

camillebug

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
Gypsum CO
Our 5 SP pullets are 18 weeks old and our first egg came today. I have 4 birds that are about 4 weeks from laying and I don't want to keep them separated. All of the birds freerange during the day and they get scratch, wheat sprouts, and grower feed. Should I start giving them layer pellets now or wait till they are all laying?

And remember, if you have been feeding medicated feed, you cannot eat those eggs for a few days until they get that medication out of their system.

Myself, I would wait until they are all laying. Just keep oyster shell available free choice for the ones laying. They'll eat what they need and the others will leave it alone. This way here, you can switch them over all at once, gradually adding layer to your current feed of course. I have a mixed flock also and I am doing this arrangement with great success. Good luck!

You can switch them over as they are done with the huge growth sputs they go through when they are younger, but you don't need to. I would keep them on grower until they are all laying, they really seem to appreciate the extra nutrition in the grower.

I have a very mixed flock with 8 roosters and hens ranging from 1 to 6 years old. They all get a 50/50 mix of meat bird crumbles and layer pellet. Oyster shell is always available on the side. Works great for me.

Mrs. Puff, If the medication in Starter is Amprolium there is no withdrawl time, because it is not an antibiotic.

If the medication ends in -cyllin or -cyclin it is an antibiotic and will have some withdrawl time.

Thanks all. I will toss some layer pellets in with the flock raiser. The egg we got is not thin shelled by any means. We only used medicated feed in the first 5 days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom