First egg! Who laid it? Why is it white?

amydanielle147

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2016
California
So my chicks laid their first egg today and I'm super excited! The only thing is it's a creamy white and idk who laid it. I have barred rocks, buff orps, black austrilorp mixes, Rhode Island reds, and Ameraucanas, and it's my understanding that none of those lay white eggs. So am I wrong, do one of these breeds lay white eggs? Or is it normal for the first eggs to be much lighter? Thank you!

Here's a picture of the egg

So my chicks laid their first egg today and I'm super excited! The only thing is it's a creamy white and idk who laid it. I have barred rocks, buff orps, black austrilorp mixes, Rhode Island reds, and Ameraucanas, and it's my understanding that none of those lay white eggs. So am I wrong, do one of these breeds lay white eggs? Or is it normal for the first eggs to be much lighter? Thank you!

You might have to just watch and see. But I have to wonder what your austrolorpes are mixed with? I may be wrong but I believe the austrowhite (an austrolorpe/leghorn mix?) lays a creamy white or off white egg so other mixes may also.

You might have to just watch and see.  But I have to wonder what your austrolorpes are mixed with?  I may be wrong but I believe the austrowhite (an austrolorpe/leghorn mix?) lays a creamy white or off white egg so other mixes may also.

They're mixed with Rhode Island reds

welcome-byc.gif

Looks like a buff Orpington egg to me. Unless it's stark white like a grocery store egg, it's genetically a brown egg.

Your hens are pretty bare backed.....do you have an excess of roosters? Looks like overmating damage.

:welcome

Looks like a buff Orpington egg to me. Unless it's stark white like a grocery store egg, it's genetically a brown egg. 

Your hens are pretty bare backed.....do you have an excess of roosters? Looks like overmating damage. 

That was actually my friends chickens, they're about a year and a half and molting right now, she only has one rooster

Back
Top Bottom