1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First egg! Who laid it? Why is it white?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amydanielle147, Mar 1, 2016.

1. amydanielle147

amydanielle147 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    California
    So my chicks laid their first egg today and I'm super excited! The only thing is it's a creamy white and idk who laid it. I have barred rocks, buff orps, black austrilorp mixes, Rhode Island reds, and Ameraucanas, and it's my understanding that none of those lay white eggs. So am I wrong, do one of these breeds lay white eggs? Or is it normal for the first eggs to be much lighter? Thank you!

2. amydanielle147

Mar 1, 2016
    California
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture of the egg

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    You might have to just watch and see. But I have to wonder what your austrolorpes are mixed with? I may be wrong but I believe the austrowhite (an austrolorpe/leghorn mix?) lays a creamy white or off white egg so other mixes may also.

4. amydanielle147

Mar 1, 2016
    California

They're mixed with Rhode Island reds

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Looks like a buff Orpington egg to me. Unless it's stark white like a grocery store egg, it's genetically a brown egg.

Your hens are pretty bare backed.....do you have an excess of roosters? Looks like overmating damage.

6. amydanielle147

Mar 1, 2016
    California

That was actually my friends chickens, they're about a year and a half and molting right now, she only has one rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by