First egg, who layed it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nsmith83083, Mar 10, 2015.

1. nsmith83083

nsmith83083 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    I have 2 hens one is a Rhode Island red the other is a easter egger. I'm a first time chicken owner and I got my first egg yesterday. So today I checked for a second egg no egg but my red was in the nesting box that I found the first egg in. 30 min later when I check there was our second egg. So I figured that my red layed the egg, until my easter egged started doing the famous "egg laying song." My question is,is it common for one hen to lay and the other to sing the song even tho they haven't started laying? Just curious as to which hen is laying.

Oh they are both 22 weeks old. And the egg was brown.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    I would say the RI laid the egg. An EE laying a brown egg isn't unheard of, but not as likely. As far as egg song, your EE may be practicing. I have an EE who only sings before she lays. Silly chickies... [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on those first eggs! :ya

X2 It does sound like your RIR is laying, and your EE is just trying to take the credit :D especially since you're seeing the RIR in the nesting box. While some EEs do lay brown eggs, most will lay some shade of green, and hopefully yours will. Some hens will cackle like that if something strange happens and your RIR going in and out of the nesting box may be setting the EE off... some young pullets just cackle at that age even if they haven't laid an egg.

And, Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. nsmith83083

Mar 10, 2015
    My daughter wanted the EE for the "colorful" eggs. Yet I was told that the EE may lay brown eggs as well so I was hopeful that it was my RIR that laid the first two brown eggs. Hopefully the EE will lay soon and we'll have a fun green/blue egg to look forward to. Thaks for the thoughts. I'm glad I found this forum, I've learned a lot that I didn't know.

5. nsmith83083

Mar 10, 2015
    My EE has always been very vocal anyway. But I was confused when I saw it was her singing. And the RIR never made a noise. I was sitting right near the coop when she layed her egg. I checked and there was no egg then saw her in the nest and once she came out the egg was there. So I'm fairly sure it was her who laid the egg. My EE had me confused.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    My hens sing the 'egg song' sometimes even when noone lays an egg.

7. Waynesworld92

Waynesworld92 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2014
    Windsor, MA
    I just got an EE about 2 months ago and she (Lou Who) finally laid an egg! It was a nice shade of green, so I agree with the others it was probably your RIR. Funny thing is the day she laid, she was also singing and making strange sounds. So strange that my other girls were looking around to see who was making the sound! I think she was just proud of her accomplishment! I hope you get an egg from her soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by