First egg woo! But soft shell at 9pm?!

EKlinds

Chirping
Jul 13, 2021
New Hampshire
Got our first egg woo hoo! So proud of our buff orp she’s 22 weeks I feel like I’ve been waiting forever! Very strange timing though- I think I might leave the barn lights on too late? I close up the run around 7 then go out into the barn around 8 to see if they’re up on the roost yet and will then turn the light off for the night. It was around 830 and she left the nest box and was walking around slow and straining a bit so I knew she was about to lay- then around 845 she went to jump up to roost with the others and the egg flung out! Lmao it was quite the sight. It was a soft shell though but I’m hoping it’s just because it’s her first one? I opened it and it had a beautiful yolk inside. Right now I’m feeding all flock with oyster shell on the side- should I supplement her? Or see how her next eggs look? Also I hope her new laying time isn’t 9pm or else we’ll be getting a lot of broken ones on the floor under the roost :lol:
72269B21-912A-44C5-84E6-A9E8B9F30F6A.jpeg

Is there a reason why you do not want to feed your birds layer type feed?

Is there a reason why you do not want to feed your birds layer type feed?
Only because I have a 12 week old pullet in the group with them! Once the pullet is old enough I’ll be switching over I think- right now I mixed in some layer mini pellets in with the oyster shell so I’m hoping she picks at it when she goes for the shells too!

Back
Top Bottom