First egg!

DMJ1123

Chirping
May 2, 2019
Massachusetts
I got my first egg on Saturday from my flock of six Buff Orpingtons (approx 20 weeks old). Nice egg, good strong shell. The next day I found two "rubber" eggs-- but since then, nothing. I know it has only been a few days but is it common for a hen to lay one good egg to start and then nothing at all for a period of time?

It’s not uncommon for egg production to be irregular for the first month or so. I usually get a few of those “rubber” eggs with the new pullets and they just happen sometimes. Just make sure you’ve got a source for calcium such as oyster shell out if you’re getting those shell-less eggs.

It's common for them to have all sorts of weird eggs for a little while after they first start laying. As long as they have a good source of calcium they should work out all the glitches soon, and give you nice strong eggs. :)

sometimes they got kinks in production when they first start laying, most important is making sure they have the proper nutrition to keep em healthy but issues are to be expected when they first start laying nothing to worry about

Back
Top Bottom