FIRST EGG!

Chickens_321

Chirping
Aug 1, 2020
Hi everyone! I just discovered my hen laid her first egg today and I'm so happy! We've been waiting for a while so it was really a happy moment! I have a few questions I'd like to ask the community here since this is my first time owning chickens and would like actual responses based on experience.

I have one Buff Orpington hen that is about 22 weeks old and she is the one that just laid the egg.

How often should I expect an egg and how many? I read that during winter months they don't lay much if at all and in spring they lay much more, is this true?
Also now that she laid her first egg, whats next?
I noticed she didn't really care for the egg and it was cold and alone in the coop while she was out in the run, is this typical and if not what can I do to coax her to take care of her future eggs more? (any advice on nesting box structures, especially considering she only lives with a rooster? should i separate them when she lays an egg?)
and finally there is a rooster with her so that leads me to ask how can I tell if the egg is going to hatch or not?

I know these questions may have been asked before so if there is a thread out there you could direct me to, or directly answer my question, I would greatly appreciate it! (Also any other advice you could give me would be much appreciated as well! :) )

congratulations on your first egg. It’s so exciting!

How often should I expect an egg and how many? I read that during winter months they don't lay much if at all and in spring they lay much more, is this true?
Once she gets going you should have 3-5 a week. When A pullet comes into lay in the fall they typically lay through the winter. Next year she will probably molt in the fall and greatly reduce or stop laying in the winter.

I noticed she didn't really care for the egg and it was cold and alone in the coop while she was out in the run, is this typical and if not what can I do to coax her to take care of her future eggs more? (any advice on nesting box structures, especially considering she only lives with a rooster? should i separate them when she lays an egg?)
Chickens won’t sit on their eggs unless they are broody. Broody hens sit in a nest, lay eggs for a number of days, steal eggs from other hens and sit on them to hatch them (21 days on average). Since your pullets isn’t broody she will lay her egg, leave it and move on. You don’t need to separate the rooster.
how can I tell if the egg is going to hatch or not?
You can crack some of her eggs and look for the white bullseye. That will tell you if they are fertile. Otherwise you can incubate them and candle them after a week to look for development. They will not hatch unless they are under a broody hen for 20+ days or in an incubator for 20+ days, even if they are fertile. They won’t develop into anything without care.

hope that helps!

congratulations on your first egg. It’s so exciting!

Once she gets going you should have 3-5 a week. When A pullet comes into lay in the fall they typically lay through the winter. Next year she will probably molt in the fall and greatly reduce or stop laying in the winter.

Chickens won’t sit on their eggs unless they are broody. Broody hens sit in a nest, lay eggs for a number of days, steal eggs from other hens and sit on them to hatch them (21 days on average). Since your pullets isn’t broody she will lay her egg, leave it and move on. You don’t need to separate the rooster.

You can crack some of her eggs and look for the white bullseye. That will tell you if they are fertile. Otherwise you can incubate them and candle them after a week to look for development. They will not hatch unless they are under a broody hen for 20+ days or in an incubator for 20+ days, even if they are fertile. They won’t develop into anything without care.

hope that helps!
Thank you so much! That was a huge help and insight, I really appreciate it! Can't wait for more eggs to come now! :)

Back
Top Bottom