First Egg

I have not been on for awhile.It is exciting to get those first few eggs.We have buff orpington and RIR and Black Stars and a few odd ones. We got are first egg in the middle of July right on time and boy the shapes and sizes they have come up with.After a few weeks we are getting some pretty big ones.A few are just starting.We get 17 to 21 eggs a day we find them in the oddest places.It is a easter egg hunt everyday.I have had a great time feeding them their treats .My son even toke some in 4-h.

Congratulations on your first eggs! You are sooooo lucky!
wee.gif
:
yippiechickie.gif

I only have one hen out of my 15 that has started to lay. I only have 2 eggs so far. Still waiting.......come on eggs! I have read that the hen lays in cycles of every 25 hrs.
Keep us posted on their progress!

Congratulations!!!
big_smile.png

I'm still waiting for my first egg even though i don't know how old they are and I'm not sure if i even have a hen (i'm a newbie and i got them from an auction).
big_smile.png

I am no eggxpert but I read today in a couple books, that a hen will lay one egg every 25 hours.The books read as follows: The yolk is released from ovary and spends 15 minutes in the Infundibulum where it is fertilized (or not), then travels to the Magnum. In the magnum it sets for 3 hours where the white is added. The "egg" then travels to the Isthmus where over the next 1 1/4 hours the inner and outer shell membranes are added. Next it enters the uterus (shell gland) where it grows in size, calcium is added to membrane creating the hard shell, color pigment is also added here to the shell. So in other words the hens will lay an egg one hour later each day until the laying time run into the evening hours. A hen won't lay in the dark, so she will rest overnight. starting the laying cycle in the morning. I also read that you can use artificial light to lengthen day lights hours to increase production, during shorter daylight seasons. Plz correct me if I'm in error. I may have miss read or misinterpreted what i read?

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for the great information. I just wanted to report back that it will be officially one week tomorrow since the girls started laying eggs. Out of 20 hens we have got 9 eggs both yesterday and today. Beautiful brown eggs!!! I'm thinking of getting some Easter Eggers in the spring so we can some blues and greens.

My son and daughter were able to get the eggs this morning. It was so funny. They woke me and my husband up at six in the morning to tell us that there were 4 eggs! At 7:30 they awoke us to tell us that there were 3 more eggs! Needless to say I just gave up on sleeping and got up. I checked a few hours later and there were 2 more.

Back
Top Bottom