First Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by reverend, Nov 16, 2009.

1. reverend

reverend New Egg

Jun 19, 2009
    Lower Alabama
    Saturday I got my first eggs. Buff Rocks, 23 weeks old. Question? I have 2 birds that have the body frame of a roo but has the head of a pullet. I buddy stopped by and looked at them and said that they could be henroosters. Any comments?

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I have heard people that have had roosters that looked like hens and when the dominant rooster was taken out the flock they got like regular roosters [​IMG] not sure if that's true or not just something i have heard

3. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i would like to see a photo to see what a henrooster looks like

4. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    My husband was commenting on my "she-male" after I got rid of my roo. He said "That one looks just like that rooster did a month ago!" I had to explain to him about the feathers and how I didn't think it was a rooster. Then she laid an egg and that put all doubt out of my husband's mind!

I got the best advice here; look at the neck feathers and back feathers. Long and draping = roo; short and round = hen. Even though my big hen has a huge comb and waddle, she doesn't have long draping feathers. And she has laid an egg every day since she started last tuesday (7 eggs now!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by