1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dichotomymom, Aug 4, 2008.

1. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    We killed our aggressive rooster yesterday and low and behold got our first egg today! Coincidence, or was she emotionally eggbound?! Either way, I'm over the moon.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My buff (duck) finally laid her first egg on the 31st, lol. Im up to five now, im hoping they dont go bad .

Congrats!!

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm having EGG-ENVY
    Jean [​IMG]

5. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Don't be too jealous;) It's about the right size for my 4 year old!

6. Iansmommy

Iansmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    My husband killed our aggressive Rooster a few days ago as well. I was hoping to find some eggs soon too. Our Buff Orps are only 18 weeks today, but I can dream.

It's funny, we have another rooster who is bigger than the one that was culled, but he was so shy. He has really come into his own since the other has been gone. He struts around the coop and watches his ladies like a hawk when we come around them. He also crows whenever we come close to the coop. Wonder if that is some kind of a warning call?

Congrats on the egg, I'm jealous.

7. sensuousup

sensuousup New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    We just got our chicks this spring. We've got about 40 hens, and have had 1 laying an egg a day for the past week. One day she laid 2. They're bantams--brown eggs. Funny, the first one was about the size of a ping pong ball, but day by day they seem to get bigger!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by