first eggs and some questions

cptbahama

Songster
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
augusta, georgia
Hey folks-
We started in February with three-day old chicks and raised them all this time. I was out of town for work Monday through Thursday (yesterday) and when I can home I checked the nest box to find the first two eggs. Very excited. They were small to medium sized, brown and perfect. We just ate them this morning. My questions:
There's a god chance they sat out in the coop for a couple days in central georgia heat. We ate them anyways. I can assume it's fine for them to sit out like they before being eaten?
Also, each egg had a red speck on the yolk. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that is a sign the egg was fertilized by a rooster. To my knowledge I don't have a rooster. They are all 5 months old, give or take a few weeks (some a little more than 5 mos some a little less). I'm not hearing any crowing. I do see some aggressive behavior but those are pretty obvious hens to me. What do you think?

hello,
how exiting! I remember my first eggs.
the eggs were fine to eat fresh eggs can keep for that amount of time in heat.
as for the specks. They were probably liver spots. sometimes hens that have just started laying lay what I call "goof eggs' with abnormal shapes and features. nothing to worry about.

Quote:
X2! Except, I always called a little red speck a "meat spot". It's harmless and it's one of the many things you'll see with those first eggs. I've had chickens for three years now, and I've seen everything from tiny eggs (I call those fart eggs), to eggs with just the membrane and no shell, wrinkly eggs, and huge eggs......

As your hens continue laying, their eggs will increase in size too, and become more regular....You will definitely see some "blips" though....

Yep, the red spots are normal. They are meat spots. You can google for photos to make sure that's what you saw. As far as eating them, well, you'd be sick already if there was anything awry. Ha ha. No, you'll be fine. We have 100 degree heat and we aren't always here to run right out and get the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom