First Eggs, but not sure whose they are

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by idachick, Sep 23, 2012.

1. idachick

idachick Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I have a Welsummer (20 weeks); and Buff Orpington, Ameraucana, Barred Rock (all 18 weeks old) .

Friday Morning I was awaken by my hens, so I grabbed my slippers and hurried out to see what was going on. I couldn't figure it out, the normally quiet one (Buff Orpington) was making a lot of noise, I checked their food and water, then noticed there was an egg in the coop. I took it out and closed the door and she stopped making noise. Haven't heard her since. Maybe it was her that laid the egg? She is the smaller of the bunch though. But that afternoon I found another egg and also today I found one.
    The thing is, the eggs are very small and white. I thought we would get brown eggs with the exception of my ameraucana being blue?
    Does anyone have an idea about who laid the white egg?
    Thanks!

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Are you absolutely sure you have the breeds as listed? Do you have any pictures of your pullets?

3. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Most hens do cluck alot after they have laid. I seems like mine try to announce to the world to " come and see what I have done. That is usually how I find out which of my hens is laying. If I'm out near the coop during their clucking, I run down to see who is on the nest. Some hens will start out laying small eggs and may increase in size after a while. I've had one that started laying with no shell. Have heard of some people with Ameracuanas say that theirs started laying white or brown eggs and then turning blue after some time. But, I would question if it is a standard breed or a cross? I do know that some dark egg layers such as FBMs and welsummers will lay their dark eggs, but as they get older the eggs can lighten up some. Just try to keep an eye on them as much as you can. Especially when you hear any noises!!!! Hope this helps.

4. Flora Fauna

Flora Fauna New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    New York
    Sometimes the other hens cluck in encouragement for the hen actually laying the egg. I would say if you have a true Ameraucana, it is unlikely she laid the eggs...they usually take upwards of 7 months or more to lay their first.

Where did you get your pullets from? There are brown leghorns that look very similar to Welsummers...they lay white eggs. Look for the earlobe, if it is white, it is a leghorn...and the mystery egg layer.

5. idachick

idachick Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Thanks for all the responses! How funny, my brown chicken looks just like a welsummer! But maybe she is a leghorn, she has the white earlobe! I will have look at leghorn pictures. She is my only one that we are unsure about because she was hatched from an egg in my daughters classroom. They didn't know what they got.
    This morning I heard her clucking again, but this time it was my brown chicken. When we checked the coop, sure enough another egg! And it is slightly bigger than the other 3. We are excited to finally have eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by