First Eggs *Grin* Why am I scared of them?? LOL

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hippy.cate, Apr 17, 2009.

1. hippy.cate

hippy.cate Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Hey all! I'm back with another crazy question!

Of my original flock none are yet to lay [​IMG] I went away for a week and came home to find that the one that I had pegged to lay first was, in fact, a rooster [​IMG]

I recently got 3 more from a slightly more reliable source than the last lot and I'm happy to say that one of these has started laying already and has given us one egg every day for the last 4 days. They are quite small but I'm incredibly excited about them. [​IMG]

My question is however, that somehow I have it in my head that you shouldn't eat the first eggs? Is this something crazy I've manifested in my imagination? They've been sitting on the counter top since so maybe we shouldn't eat them now? I have it in my head that I need to cook them and feed them back to them??

2. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    fill a small jar with room temperature water, put the eggs in one at a time if they sink they are good, if they float throw them out (they are rotten).

3. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Force yourself to eat them over-easy to get over the queasy.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i was the same way!! [​IMG] but once i tasted them it was fine!

5. stir-fry

stir-fry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Covington, WA
    we got our 4 girls a week ago and now have 15 eggs [​IMG]

but,,, havent eaten any yet but tomorrow its over eazy with bacon MMMmmmmm I'll let ya know how they are lol.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We had a big discussion here on BYC back when my hens started laying. Turns out my SO, raised around chickens his whole life right here on this farm, won't eat "pullet eggs".
    After two weeks of me eating the pullet eggs and buying eggs for him, I finally refused to buy anymore store bought eggs and he built a bridge and got over it. Now he brags on my hen's eggs.
    I myself had a problem eating them the first few times, because I fried them and couldn't get over the strong flavor. I started scrambling them instead and they went down easier. Now I love them in any shape or form.

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I think this is one of the oldest of old Wive's tales. When my pullets started to lay, my house keeper was emphatic that I should throw them away. Her mother had many chickens when they grew up and insisted that pullet eggs were inedible. It made no sense to me so I made sure I had breakfast with those eggs in her presence just to gross her out. It did. They tasted exactly like all other eggs (why wouldnt they) they were just smaller.

When I grew up my Amish uncle started layers on his farm and then sent them to poultry houses when they were ready to start laying. He would get some of the early laying pullet eggs by the dozens and give them to all family members we loved them.

Enjoy

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Fried 'em up and slap them on a biscuit!!!!

Maybe a little cheese and mayo on top too. [​IMG]

Trust me, an egg is an egg is an egg.... and they is YUMMY.

See, now look... I am craving an egg sandwich. [​IMG]

9. hippy.cate

hippy.cate Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    That's all great advice, thank you all for your help.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    As long as you haven't washed them even though they have been out on your counter for awhile, I would eat them or make something with them.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by