First eggs! Pictures added.

WYOwhy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Wyoming
I was out of town for four days on a work event. The chicken sitter must have been extra good, this morning I found 4 eggs lined up neatly in the nest box. My first eggs!

So, they might have been sitting out for as long as four days. Are they still safe to eat? How long can an egg sit out at coop temp?

Pictures of Leda's eggs going into the first egg thread.
smile.png

Last edited:
I'd say safe. Mine sit on the counter for up to a week. I'd candle to make sure they have not been sat on enough to start developing. Other than that. they are good.

Eggs are made to last! It can take a chicken a couple of weeks to assemble her pile before she starts brooding, so they sit there dormant. Four days, especially in this cool weather, shouldn't be a problem. You can crack them one at a time into a separate bowl to be sure.

If you're really doubtful, you can put them in water. Good eggs sink, rotten eggs float, older ones kinda sit there with one end raised.

Yep, they should be ok as long as nobody's been sitting on them. I'm assuming its not 90 degrees where you are or anything. You can try floating them in water. If they sink, they are fine. Its common for people in other countries to leave their eggs out. So only one is 4 days old, one 3, one 2, and one 1 day. If you candled them you might be able to see the difference in airspace. More airspace = older egg.

Are you sure your chicken sitter isn't playing a joke on you?
hmm.png

Thanks! I was hoping that was what you were going to say.
smile.png

No rooster here, so I'm pretty sure we're safe from developing eggs. Unless she can hold onto fertilized eggs from when she lived on the country estate.

I'm happy to say, this is most assuredly not a chicken sitter's joke. It is the real deal! Beautiful creamy colored silkie eggs from Leda. I'm so glad she likes her new city home!

The white one is from the store... the other four are from my Leda!
Ledaeggs.jpg

yippiechickie.gif
I'm so proud of the pretty girl!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom