First eggs seem to be popping out all over

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vermontgal, Dec 31, 2008.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have my first egg still, but I am excited at how many other people have just posted about first eggs. Just past the solstice, a few warmer days in most parts of the country -- amazing what a little light and warmth will do.

Today I got my first squats! So that is something. Everyone but the EE is squatting at least occasionally.

But, also today, it seemed like my gals were fighting with each other more. Is that normal, to have pecking get stronger just as puberty sets in? (hmm... I remember junior high school...)

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    VermontGal, you are bringing a couple of issues to the forum - celestial events and adolescence.

First of all, my sunlight has only increased 4 minutes since 12/21. And here, hours of daylight thru the year seem to change at breakneck speed [​IMG]! So, we are probably talking about seconds in South Florida.

I think that daylight changes to date have been mostly effecting maturing pullets by s l o w i n g-t h e m-d o w n . . . In other words, if the pullets hatched in June they reached 5 months of age in November and 6 months in December.

These were not the months for Spring d├ębutante celebrations. The pullets stayed pre-d├ębutantes longer and may now be showing up on the social circuit all at the same time [​IMG].

Steve

3. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

DigitS', for those who provide any light in the AM -- then the PM light has been getting later since Dec. 12. Total length of day get shorter until Dec. 21, but the afternoon sunset is later starting Dec. 12. But you're right - not many minutes difference over all.

I guess I'm just hopeful! And therefore maybe projecting. [​IMG] No first egg for Christmas, but maybe by Twelfth Night? [​IMG]

4. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    If they have started to squat, then you could be lucky, ,mine started this about a week before the first egg appeared, How are their combs and wattles looking.

I bought my girls in September, and the first one started laying right at the end of November, the last one started on Christmas Eve....and I only have 4, but they are a special Hardy Breed, and I have had 4 eggs a day since christmas.

Good Luck, I hope you get the first soon,

Jena.

5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    maybe mine will start coming too im wating nine months no eggs yet [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Steve - does this mean it's time to have an Egg Ball?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by