first eggs small -when will they reach full size? How big are BR eggs?

ArizonaDesertChicks

Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs
15 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Okay - I know the first eggs are smaller than normal. I finally got my first egg from one of my two barred rocks 5 days ago. It was pretty small, the next day's egg was a little larger, the third day's egg was a little larger again, but the 4th & 5th eggs aren't any larger than the 3rd. I hope it's not full size now because it's still what I would consider a small-med. size egg (compared to the large store bought eggs).

How long before her eggs are as big as they are going to get and how big are barred rock eggs compared to other chickens?

My other chickens that are still not laying:
the other barred rock, white leghorns, EEs, barnevelders, and a production red

Hi Im no expert, and my chicks haven't started laying yet but from what Ive read the older the chicken gets the larger the egg. how old are you girls, they seem fairly young and it may take weeks or months for them to come to there full size, whatever that maybe. Ive heard (but dont know) that most chickens lay best in there second and third year. Hope someone else comes in to clarify. Cause all i got to go on is what Ive read. I would say give it time and it will all happen in good time. Good luck with your girls . Sandy

I'm down to two Barred rocks.

One gives me a decent sized egg about every 3 days. The other a medium sized egg about ever 2-3 days.

I started thinking about chickens in the fall of 07, I got my first eggs the following spring...one of those chickens (rir) is now routinely laying 3 oz egg, they are just HUGE!!!

My barred rock's eggs are 53-56 grams and she's been laying consisently for 2 weeks (laid for 2 weeks in Jan & then quit due to cocci). That's considered medium. Before she got cocci her eggs where tickling that 60g mark, which is "large". She's only 9 months old, however, so I'm confident that her eggs will get bigger in time.

Congratulations on your first egg!!! My pullets have been laying for about a month. The eggs are larger than when they first started laying but still quite a bit smaller than my hens eggs are. BR' do lay large eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom