1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first eggs...why so small?? pic

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newtothis2011, Oct 5, 2011.

1. newtothis2011

newtothis2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

will they get bigger???

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They will gradually get bigger. It is not usually overnight but a gradual process. Then after their first adult molt, you will see a decent jump in size.

Why are they so small? They are still babies. Their bodies need to grow up and mature or they could hurt themselves laying great big eggs regularly. That's why I hate to see double yolkers with young hens. It does not happen often, but they are more at risk laying those big eggs when they are so immature. I'm just glad they can usually handle even the big eggs as well as they do.

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I always enjoy watching those first eggs evolve and some times you get some really tiny ones. Once I got got a tiny one with no yolk! [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Small eggs are much easier on the young pullet. Actually, it is kind of scary when they lay the huge, double yokers.
    Agree with Ridgerunner

5. newtothis2011

newtothis2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Can They Be Eaten When They Are That Small??

6. sandysylvester

sandysylvester Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Sure you can eat them! They taste great!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by