1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first eggs yesterday

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buffs only, Aug 17, 2011.

1. buffs only

buffs only Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Conyers Georgia
    My 32 buff orps just turned 19 weeks old on Monday, I hadn't even put up their nesting boxes yet, thinking I wouldn't get any eggs for three or four more weeks. I was it shock when I looked down on the ground inside their run and saw a egg about the size of a golf ball. Then I searched the coop and found one more out in the open and four more under their poop boards (slanted 3 X 5 sheets of durorock tile boards ). I don't think we will eat any of these eggs because I can't be for sure when they were laid,( how long can the eggs stay in the coop before they go bad?) I'm almost certain that they were not there on Monday. I can tell by their cones and waddles that a few (maybe half a dozen) are more advanced that others,but I never thought I would get eggs at 19 weeks. I put up the nesting boxes yesterday after I found the eggs, hope they use them.

Buffs only

2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Congratulations!! [​IMG] Mine are 22 weeks and we are still waiting....hopefully any day now! [​IMG]

3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] YEA!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. marshallbrown

marshallbrown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Peterborough, NH
    Waiting is the hardest part. We have just made it past the 20 week mark and expect an egg any day now. We have a friend watching our girls while we are away camping this coming weekend and I'll be very hurt if I miss that first egg!!!

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    congratz [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by