First eggs

bigtchicks

Hatching
Apr 10, 2016
So how often will they lay eggs and how long can they stay in the coop before They go bad? I have golden sex link chickens. Any special instructions for cleaning these eggs before eating them?

welcome-byc.gif

Sexlinks are known for laying almost every day! It's according to the breed. Some will only lay from twice to 4 times a week.

Cleaning? I clean mine with water is all..they stay good in the fridge for a good two weeks.

Hot outside? I just go ahead and gather around noon. They should be ok if you can't get them until after work later.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Both of these breeds are great layers and can lay everyday, but no guarantee. Try to collect the eggs as soon as possible in this heat, however if they lay in the morning and you can't collect them until evening, they should be fine. But definitely collect them at some point during that same day they are laid.

Never wash eggs until you are ready to use them as you are thus washing off the bloom which protects the inside of the egg from bacteria. And and you don't need to wash them at all if you don't want to. I never have washed my eggs unless they are really poopy. If you do wash them, wash them with warm water only. Cold water will push bacteria into the egg through the walls of the shell. They do make egg wipes...and all natural oil type wipe from Manna Pro that you can wipe your eggs off before selling or storing.

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

My Road Island Red hen has layed a white egg. All her other eggs have been brown. She has layed about 100 eggs now and this is the only one that is white. can any one tell me why she layed a white egg.

I picked it up it is white. I have other layers that lay white eggs but none of them can get the coop with her and the rooster. I have already checked the coop to see if that was at all possible. But the egg is white white no color to it at all.

Back
Top Bottom