first eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ebhoneybees, Feb 1, 2009.

1. ebhoneybees

ebhoneybees Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    wow! not one, but 3 identical eggs this morning. i suspect my black showgirl who ran up to me when i opened the coop this morning. she sure was busy! these are my first eggs ever - i'm so excited...

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    YAY! congrats on the first eggs!

I'm telling you now that it never gets old to find eggs. My girls have been laying for 2 months and every day we get a little thrill to find eggs.

3. MrsShag

MrsShag Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    congrats!

I am getting jealous [​IMG]

4. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    congrads to you, nothing like getting those first eggs. I just got my first chick hitched.

5. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    Congratulations!![​IMG]

6. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    If you have been checking every day and suddenly found 3, you likely had 3 girls all mature at the same time rather than one pullet lay all three eggs. I do have one girl who NEVER takes a break but even she can only produce one egg per day for me.

If I am wrong, someone will let you know but that is my belief from everything I have read; one egg, per day, per chicken.

7. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    Sometimes the time frame can make two eggs in a day, but it is usually one egg a day....I bet that you had more than one start laying

I just found out that my new ducks started laying today....I love this when it happens

8. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    Congrats! Those first ones are so fun!

9. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Congrats on your eggs!

You have three layers in there cuz chickens only lay an egg a day! Keep us posted as they all start to lay! Pretty soon you'll have eggs coming out of your ears and very greatful friends![​IMG]

10. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I'snt it so much fun. Ive been getting eggs since the first of the year (after a 2 month break due to winter) and everyday I still go to the coop the first thing in the morning and even stop back by the coop before i go in the house when I get home from work. I'm up to 8-10 eggs a day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by